Study and enhancement of the Tridentine Acts (archive collection)
Thanks to funding from Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Trento e Rovereto and by the Superintendence for History, arts, books and archives related assets of the Autonomous Province of Trento, a research team from FBK’s Italian-German Historical Institute, coordinated by Katia Occhi, has condecuted a study on archive documents of the so-called “Atti Trentini”, or Tridentine Acts, a document collection of over 60,000 papers from the fourteenth to the nineteenth centuries, conserved in the Trento State Archives.
A useful tool to retrace the steps of the complex stages that the archive of the ecclesiastical principality of Trento underwent. Removed, to a large extent, from the city in the summer of 1805, it was transferred to Innsbruck, Vienna and partly to Munich, and returned only at the end of WWI.
The study enables researchers to reconstruct the organizational structure of the principality, the relationship between the city government and the valleys, the different methods of management of the Trentino communities subject to the prince-bishop and to the count of Tyrol as well as the economic integration with neighboring areas.
FRAGMENTS OF THE ARCHIVE OF THE BISHOPRIC PRINCIPALITY IN THE MANUSCRIPT SECTION OF THE CITY OF TRENTO LIBRARY (15TH-18TH CENTURIES) 2012-2014Research project
Promoted by ISIG (FBK) and the Department of Liberal Arts of the University of Trento, in collaboration with the City of Trento Library.
The research identified and subsequently filed the documents that had been removed from the Bishop’s Archive following the secularization of the principality in 1803, and that are currently stored in the “Mazzetti Collection” of the Manuscript Section of the City of Trento Library.
It includes administrative documents, reports and memoirs, diplomatic documentation, inventories and other materials purchased by Baron Antonio Mazzetti in the antiques market in the early decades of the nineteenth century. In addition to the administrative, accounting and judicial documents, the collection comprises the core of the “Correspondence”, for the most part attributable to the personal correspondence of the bishops and relevant diplomatic activity.
It consists of nearly 7200 letters, addressed to bishop-princes, to the secretaries of the Personal Secretariat and to the officers of the Cancelleria in temporalibus, or Secular Records Office.
For the correspondence, we developed two support tools:
Index of correspondents and cited persons;
Index of places, based on archives and bibliography standards.
They can be viewed in the database “Historical archives of Trentino” among the annexes of the series entitled “Correspondence of bishop-princes”.
A paper copy can be viewed at ISIG, on via Santa Croce, 77 – Trento.
The project was funded by Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Trento e Rovereto (CARITRO).
City of Trento Library
Department of Liberal Arts of the University of Trento
Fondazione Bruno Kessler – Italian-German Historical Institute
Superintendence for History, Arts, books and archives related assets of the Autonomous Province of Trento
Project’s scientific committee:
Dr. Franco Cagol, prof. Andrea Giorgi, Dr. Silvano Groff, Dr. Katia Occhi
Record Cards and indexes by Dr. Massimo Scandola
Development of the tree structures by prof. Andrea Giorgi and Dr. Franco Cagol
Data entry of record cards on the “Archivi Storici del Trentino” system by Dr. Michela
We thank for their kind cooperation the staff of the City of Trento Library, Dr. Mara Gruber, from the Research Funding Department of Fondazione Bruno Kessler, Dr. Helga Franzoi, from the University of Trento, Dr. Stefania Franzoi, with the Superintendence for History, arts, books and archives related assets of the Autonomous Province of Trento.