Digital health, epidemiology and higher education
Digital Health and Wellbeing
FBK works on the digital healthcare of the future, based on predictive, preventive, personalized and participatory medicine and on principles of equity and citizen empowerment.
Thanks to the collaboration with the Province of Trento and the Trento Province Healthcare System, FBK applies artificial intelligence technologies to systems that interact with people and help them take care of their health. This virtuous model is available, as a scalable and replicable model, for other territories that might wwant to experiment with it.
An example of the main projects:
- TreC the citizen’s medical records and numerous highly innovative virtual coaching smartphone applications with AI techniques that stimulate healthy lifestyles, as in the case of the Salute+ app.
- TreC_diabete, which helps health professionals to monitor their patients and people to better manage their disease;
MumUP dedicated to pregnant women.
Public health emergencies
For over twenty years, the group of mathematical epidemiologists at Fondazione Bruno Kessler has been developing quantitative epidemiology methods to strengthen epidemiological surveillance.
Among the main projects and collaborations are:
- Studies to contain the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic. Scientific advice for the government and regional task forces (Lombardy and Trentino) to face the Coronavirus emergency through the use of mathematical models on transmissibility.
- Studies on influenza transmission and mitigation.Scientific advice for the Government Task Force during the 2009 A/H1N1 pandemic.
- Studies on the transmission and containment of the Ebola virus.
- Studies on the transmission of vector-borne diseases, such as Zika, Dengue and Chikungunya.
- Among his main collaborations, the one with the Istituto Superiore di Sanità through the joint EPIQ laboratory for the quantitative study of the spread of infectious diseases and the Joint Research Unit FBK-FEM EPILAB which combines skills in quantitative epidemiology (FBK) and laboratory and field research (FEM).
Higher Education for health
FBK per la Salute is a program designed to promote a new way of doing medicine, through advanced training exercises, seminars and public events. The program integrates skills with training activities, conducted in collaboration with the Trento Province Healthcare System (APSS), the University of Trento, the Medical Association and the School of specific training in General Medicine.
FBK per la Salute also provides a space dedicated to Health Literacy , that help patients understand care and recognize their health needs as well as actively contribute to treatment choices, navigating the health system.